So like many of you know I am starting another college semester tomorrow. Thursday my life will be taken over by classes, studying, and more stress. I am taking 5 classes and for once they are all speech classes. I have so many emotions going through my head this week. I am excited, nervous, sad, and determined. I thought I would share the 5 things I do to prepare for another year of school.
- Be prepared with supplies. Start the school year with new notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighter, folders, and a planner. You do not want to go to classes the first day and have to ask for paper or a pen from a classmate. You are an adult and should be prepared for class every day!
- Print out anything the professor sends you before class. I know some professors send out a syllabus before classes start so you can be prepared. Print it out! The first day of classes you always go over them and when the professor asks who printed it you can look like you on top of things.
- Take the day before classes start and relax or do something fun. Take this day and hang out with your friends or stay home and watch TV. Once school starts there may not be that much free time to just relax between classes, homework, papers, and other assignments.
- Get a good night of sleep. This is important for your body and mind. Don’t be the one falling asleep in class on the first day of class. I have seen it before and that is not the first impression you want to give your professors and classmates. Go to bed early and wake up ready for the day.
- Take a deep breath and believe in yourself. It is so important that you believe in yourself. If you doubt yourself you will not be successful. I have learned that the hard way. I have started semesters thinking to myself ‘I am so going to flunk out, I will be going to school forever, I suck at this, and maybe school is not for me’ and those semesters were not successful. You can go to every class and study for hours, but if you don’t believe you can do it, you will not.
I hope this helps those who are starting college for the first time or just starting a new year. I wish you the best of luck and remember to believe in yourself.
xox cassie karin